Sunday, July 26, 2026

The Lord’s Supper -- John Piper

Dear Jesus, as I take this bread, 
   This sign of dying seed,
Oh let my hungry soul be fed
   With deathless life, I plead. 

If I must signify my blame,
   And crush the bread I eat,
Oh let the taste of bitter shame
   Be short, the end be sweet.

Oh may this bread, though I must die,
    A true similitude 
Of grace, forevermore be my
   All-satisfying food.

                         * * * 

Then after supper, Lord, you said,
    "A covenant in blood,
This cup." And thirsting, in my stead,
     You drank the fatal flood.

And now must I remember this,
     The bloody price of lust?
Must I confess my Judas kiss
     Against this cup? “You must.”

Then guilty I will taste my death,
     The death that you have died,
And sing your life with endless breath,
      Forever satisfied.

                            * * * 

The cup is past, the bread consumed,
      Now come, Lord Jesus, pour
Your Spirit ’til, all hunger doomed,
      Your people thirst no more.

 -- John Piper
                        CM tune

No comments: